12 January 2012

The Hasty Heart

It's 1996. I have an outstanding amount of acne, a terrible haircut, and 2 years of acting under my belt. I had only done shows at Albion Middle School and Brighton High, so I wouldn't consider it my best work. Now, a sophomore in high school, I go to Hale Centre Theatre's production of "Kiss & Tell" starring the love of my life (at the time) Michelle Henriksen. The only reason I went was to see her and be that really supportive guy. I had never seen a center stage production, and I have to say I was smitten by the whole experience. Being in "love" with the star aside, I was completely engrossed in the story and knew right then that I had to be on that stage. A couple of month's later, I auditioned for "The Hasty Heart". My 9th grade drama teach John Adams was directing, so I figured I had an in. I knew absolutely nothing about the show, but I wanted to be on that stage so I gave it a shot. I made callbacks, which was thrilling enough, and then at callbacks I read for the orderly. It's the smallest part in the show, but I was stoked to have a shot at it. I remember at those callbacks, John said, "Rusty read for Yank. I want to just see how it looks to have a young Yank." Well, I did AWFUL. But that's okay, I got the orderly. Throughout the run, my job, aside from my 10 lines or so, was to make all the men the food, clean the dishes, and help Lachie (the main character) with his quick changes in and out of his kilt. Near the end of the show, there is a POWERFUL exchange between Lachie and Yank. I would stand off stage, watching through the curtain, and just weep. I mean honest to goodness tears of emotion. I told myself every night, "You will do that part someday. Someday." And I didn't even know which part. Yank or Lachie is an actor's dream. For the next few years, starting in 2000, I would always ask when they were doing "The Hasty Heart" again. The answer was the same, "Someday." Well, the day arrived this year. On February 19th 2011, auditions were held. I was determined not to let this pass. I hadn't even made a callback in like 5 years at Hale, so I wasn't confident. I wasn't about to let this pass me by however, so just in case I had a shot at all, I actually cut my hair off before auditions. About 12 inches worth. 2 years and 3 months of growing to be exact. But I didn't want anything to compromise my chances, so snip snip. Oddly enough, I actually auditioned for Lachie. I did okay actually, well enough to get a callback. That in-and-of-itself about knocked me over. I couldn't imagine not getting a callback, but until my name was read...I was in a bad place. On the upside, my name was read. Callbacks were set for Feb. 21....my birthday. Oh the irony. Callbacks. The worst place for an actor without confidence. My run of not even getting callbacks, let alone being cast, didn't exactly prepare me with oodles of swagger. I recognized some familiar faces, and some faces that I have seen at previous callbacks...where they got the part and I didn't. Wasn't feeling awesome, I won't lie. So, the callbacks begin. They start by having the Colonels read. Then the Orderlies, then the Blossoms. Then, it's time for the men in the ward. So, a bunch of people read...a few more...and then I get to read. I read 2 lines for Yank. Two. Lines. That's it. So that part is not on the table, but we haven't had the Lachlens read yet, so I'm okay. When we get to the Lachie readings, well, it was interesting. I thought my Scottish accent was decent, and having seen the show I knew the intentions behind the character, but I didn't do the best. In fact, when I spoke with Sunny on the way home, she asked how I did and I replied, "I think I did the best I could. And I won't get cast." Oh, how wrong I was. They said at callbacks that we would know by the end of the week, so don't get nervous if you don't hear from them soon. Yeah...right. So, the waiting game began. The following day around noon, I received a call. From Hale. It was Tammy Morgan, our P.A. She said, "Are you sitting down?" I said, "I am now!" She said, "They want you to play Yank." Silence. After about 5 seconds, I screamed. I don't mean I elevated my volume, I mean I screamed like a little girl. Tammy was laughing, I was crying. It was absolute madness. I jumped on Google chat with Sunny and told her to call me. Nah eff it, I got the part babe! Then I proceeded to call my parents, my friends, some dude I met one day. Anyone I could find. Thus, I was a member of the 2011 production of The Hasty Heart. This run has amazing stories throughout. The script is friggin' gold, and our cast was spectacular. I really mean it. Top to bottom, we absolutely clicked. Rehearsals were a rollercoaster. We put it all on the line constantly. We were dismantled, pushed, prodded, and somehow came out with an amazing show and story ready to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment