10 April 2011

Arizony

Me, Dad, Mick, Mom atop Camelback Mountain
Ahhhhh, how lovely to escape the cold, bleak winter doldrums for a week and get my sunshine on!  This year's family vacation took us to the desert locale of Phoenix, Arizona.  Utah winters have got to be the most frustrating phenomenon; we are well into April with no trace of spring in sight. Frequent snowstorms, temperatures in the 30s, overcast and inversion-laden skies... it's enough to drive a person to despair.  My psyche needed a week in the sun.  My plan was to take a week off, get my head on straight, and come back ready to take life by the horns.  I do believe I did just that.  

So. To commence recap:

We began the drive down Saturday morning, April 2.  Mom and Dad up front, Mick, Mick's friend, and me in back.  I was unaware that Mick's friend would be accompanying us, and was none too pleased about it to be honest.  It made for a strange group dynamic and a very uncomfortable ride.  And though my dad's Audi is a treat to look at and drive, I can verify that it was NOT designed for passenger journeys and has to be the most unpleasant road trip vehicle ever created.  I was also in the thick of a dread sickness so I'm sure that added to my grumbly disposition.  But we made excellent time and arrived at Marriott's Canyon Villas in Phoenix at about 3:00 pm.  

Although I rarely left my bed for the next couple of days, I maintain that I would rather be sick on vacation in Phoenix than be sick at work.  I made some very good friends throughout the week, and rarely left their side if I could help it.  These are my very good friends:


On Monday we hiked Camelback Mountain.  I was pretty weaksauce on the steep vertical climb due to aforementioned illness, but enjoyed the trail very much indeed all the same. After we all reached the summit, and Mom had several heart-attacks because Mick and I were monkeying around so close to the treacherous cliffs, Mom & Dad descended back the way we came and Mick, his friend, and I completed the trail by scaling down the other side.  The parentals picked us up on the other side, we ate delicious Chick-Fil-A on the way back, and then spent the rest of the afternoon swimming and for me, blowing my nose and sleeping. Sometimes at the same time. 

Rusty would've never survived the heights.  He hates 'em.

On Tuesday, joy of joys-- Amy, Ashton, & Addison joined us!  YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!  Oh man, it was so freaking awesome to play with my adorable niece and nephew and amazing sister-in-law for the next few days.  I wish they could've stayed the whole time, but I loved the time we got.  Loved it. 

Addison, Amy, Ashton. Crazy A's.
We make a pretty good team.
Ash's famous underwater tiger growl.
Before the A-Team flew away back to Utah, we tackled another hike, this time at Pinnacle Peak.  It was a little less rigorous, and I was starting to feel a bit more normal (although still drowning in snot), so we all enjoyed the climb and abundant Arizona flora and fauna. 


Pinnacle Peak was close to an old west town thing so we ventured over to explore.  It provided a great backdrop for Amy to snap some 1-year-old photos of Addison, after which we went for Mexican food at Carlos O'Brien's.  I don't know where I'd be without chili relleno.  Mmmmmmm.


Ash and I squeezed in a bit of swim time before Amy gathered up her family and flew away.  They left sunshine, hiking, and swimming and arrived in a snowstorm a couple hours later.  Weird.  And depressing.  

The next day we finally made it out to Old Scottsdale to peruse some galleries and gift shops.  Not much more to report.  It was good fun, but I was becoming increasingly aware of the proximity of our departure back to real life.  Cold, wet, snowy real life.  Sssssigh. 



We spent our last day in Phoenix doing... nothing really.  Good old rest and relaxation.  It was almost time to leave our vacation behind.  I was glad in some ways-- excited to see Rusty, glad to see Mick's friend go (sorry, I'm a horrible human, deal with it.) but also sad in many ways.  Life seems so heavy sometimes-- work and bills and bills and getting up early and bills and work and responsibility and bills.  I left with the hopes of clearing my head and regrouping so that I would return with renewed motivation.  I definitely gained some clarity while away and hope to retain it as I recommence real life.  Be a better employee, exercise more regularly, keep in better touch with my family so I don't just see them on vacation, become a budget tyrant and work toward our financial future and security, set the wheels in motion toward graduating from college.  It's sink or swim time and instead of feeling crushed under the weight of all these things, I honestly feel ready to face them head on!  It feels good.  

That's one of the many reasons I love vacation.  I find it to be a vital component of life, not a luxury or perk.  It is on vacation that I do my best soul searching and recharging.  That's probably a big part of why I continue to work in the vacation industry-- I honestly believe vacations to be integral and compulsory for mental health.  To all my dear readers, if you haven't taken time away from work to relax and enjoy life, DO IT.  I'll help you.  I work for a little known hospitality company so I've got the hook-ups you need.  Reconnect with your family and with yourself.  Don't put it off waiting for the perfect time to present itself-- you may find yourself waiting forever.  Memories aren't generally made at work.  Ahhhh, I am still basking in the glow of a week well spent.  To my family, thanks for the great times. To Rusty, thanks for not burning the place down while I was gone.  To real life, I am ready for you now. Bring it on.  

So long, Arizona.  I had fun and I can't wait til we see each other again. Hopefully I won't be so sick next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment