05 July 2011

Thanks, America!

Have I mentioned that I love celebrations?  I love celebrations.  I love holidays.  I love playing.  I love family and friends and fireworks and festivities and fun.  So this week... I love the Fourth of July!
 
My Fourth of July celebrations started on Saturday the 2nd with some family favorites-- the Fun Run 5K and parade in Centerville!  Much of my family lives in Bountiful, which is what drew me back to Davis County.  I registered for the Centerville 5K at the last minute-- literally.  They were blowing the whistle for all the runners to gather while I was paying my $8 and frantically pinning my number to my shirt.  I ran with my brother Aron, my sister-in-law Amy, and her brother and sister.  7:00 AM is a hard commitment  when I have a show the previous night and abhor any hour earlier than 10:00 AM on a day off, but it is always well worth it.  I had an amazing time with my family-- and didn't even die during the run, even though I've been super lax on my fitness for far longer than I care to admit! I did miss Rusty though, he had rehearsal and was subsequently unable to cheer me on at the finish line.

I finished at 35:25.  Not my best time, the last mile sorta destroyed my life.
Amy finished 2 minutes ahead of me.  Next year's goal? BEAT AMY! Do you hear that Amy?! ...Ok, my goal is to at least keep up with her.
THE RUNNERS.  Yes, Ashton ran too-- in the kid's quarter mile.  Next year he's doing the full mile. Heck, he could probably beat all of us in the 5K.
After the run, it was parade time.  Now, county parades are generally underwhelming, I know.  And this one was no exception-- for the most part.  But there were a couple of stand-out moments that made it well worth the sun-in-your-eyes and never-ending gaps between floats.  First of all, I was with my family.  I love Aron and Amy's family. They aren't just relatives, they're FRIENDS.  And I don't know if I'm the standard in this sentiment, but I LOVE MY NIECES AND NEPHEWS.  Like, crazy love them. I could hang out with them all day, every day.  They bring me so much happiness and delight.  So Aron & Amy were sitting on lawn chairs, wrangling little Addy while I sat on the curb with Mashkins.  I had to explain to him the purpose of a few of the entries that went by (his attention was directly influenced by the throwing of candy) which brings me to highlight #2.  I was less than impressed by all the city council and law enforcement brigades when a procession arrived that bore war veterans in vintage Cadillacs.  In full uniform, soldiers of various office and service proceeded by-- their rank and military stats posted on the sides of their vehicles.  I leaned over to Ash as the first one passed and said, "These are soldiers.  They fight to protect our country," and was surprised to find that I was in tears by the time I got to the last word of my statement. As the procession continued I read the stats and looked into the faces of these veterans.  World War II. Vietnam. Korean War. Desert Storm. Combat tours. Radar operators. It hit me that our WWII vets are becoming an extinct generation, and that WWII will become a historical war, much like the Civil or Revolutionary wars, in my lifetime.  Rusty aptly suggested that my emotions were so close to the surface because of the time we'd spent over the past few months reflecting on WWII soldiers as he prepared for his role in The Hasty Heart. Whatever the case may be, I couldn't stop the tears of awe and gratitude until the last vet passed.  I am so grateful for those who have served or are currently serving our country and defend our freedom.  These proud yet humble men in uniform struck me to my soul.  I've watched Saving Private Ryan and Platoon; these men have seen the real thing. I can't imagine what that must be like and was absolutely emotionally moved by this monumental cavalcade in our little county parade. 

I guess I should also note that Mick was playing in the Millcreek Jazz Band, also featured in the parade.  He was very dashing with his trombone as they passed by, playing Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4."

Wish it wasn't so fuzzy... my camera is lame.  Mick's the one on the corner with the white shorts and trombone.
On Sunday we had dinner at Kori & Pat's house.  It wasn't really for the Fourth of July, but since I'm recapping the weekend I may as well include it.  We celebrated Mick's half-birthday.  I think he liked my present the best. 

Ok, I also gave him a gift card. But think of how much fun he'll have with his Pretty Ponies!
On Monday, the actual Fourth of July, Rusty and I got to finally spend an entire day together! After spending most of a super chill day at home, we ventured over to Aron & Amy's for a BBQ.

WE LOVE HAMBURGERS!!!!

After we got home, we walked over to our friend Jeff's house for what was left of his family fun BBQ and fireworks.  I have to say that Liberty Park fireworks were an epic fail.  We found good lawn spots for viewing as they began and I got the notion to get my camera to try out the "firework" setting.  I had barely glanced into my purse when the fireworks... ended.  That was it.  Everyone gathered up their lawn chairs and quilts with looks of bewilderment on their faces.  Lamesauceballs.  But it was still nice to hang out with friends for a bit.  Jeff played the role of "Lachie" opposite Rusty's "Yank" and the two have remained soul friends since the curtain came down.  We also saw Scott & Carynn, longtime friends of mine. Scott and I traveled through Thailand together and are currently performing in Kung Fooey at the Off Broadway Theater.  Good friends, good times.  
Rusty, me, Scott, Carynn.  Just a few folks having a great time. 
So we came, we watched, and in the end... we lit sparklers.  Happy Fourth of July, all!  And to work, thanks for the day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment